Skip to main content

Truth

If you read something I have written previously, it is for one of two reasons:

1. I am too old to know that I have written it before.
2. I think you need the repetition.

Here goes a possible repetition. Over the years (more than 60 of them), I have heard the following nonsense:

“That is your belief. This is mine.”
“That is true for you, but not for me.”

This conversation can be about atheism, Buddhism, Islam, Hinduism, homosexuality, and all kinds of religious beliefs or immoral practices.

One of the first of these remembered conversations was in the home of a family in Sasebo, Kyush. It was probably in October, 1950. It was with their college-age daughter, Suziko. We had been talking about the Daiutsu in Kamikura (idol Buddha). We were seated on the tatami at a low table. We were talking about the time this giant idol was made and about the prayer wheels in front of the idol.

A prayer wheel is like a roulette wheel. It has many little posts on the perimeter of the wheel. The worshiper will write out little prayers on pieces of paper and then put the paper on one of the posts. The prayer wheel is then spun. Every time the prayer makes one complete revolution, the prayer is prayed to the idol. At the same time the other hundred prayers on the wheel are also prayed.

There was in the center of the table, at which we were sitting, a beautifully carved wooden dish. I asked Suziko what she would think of me if I had carved the dish. She replied, “I would think that you were a great artist.”

“What would you think of me if I then bowed down in front of the dish and prayed to it?”

“I would think that you were very foolish.”

She then changed the subject and said, “Isn’t it true that you have your God and we have our god?”

My reply was, “At the creation did the two gods get together at the international Date Line to decide about creation?”

My point is this, people think that something is true because they believe it is true.

If I believe that the earth is round, that does not make the earth round. If I believe that earth is flat, that does not make it flat. If I believe in the law of gravity, that does not make it true. If I do not believe in the law of gravity, my non-belief does not make the law of gravity false.

What I believe does not make anything true. Truth is truth independent of anyone’s belief. Truth is not subjective. It is unrelated to my beliefs. Christians have bought into this lie: “It does not matter what you believe as long as you believe.” Educated, otherwise, intelligent people say this sort of drivel.

Seek what is true and put your trust there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Old

This is a post for those who are getting old or considering themselves old, from 65-100. Right now, I am 91.* I will be 92 in October. I have my own house, but I cannot live in it alone because of my physical inability to move around. One of my sons lives with me. All of us will have to make some adjustments. That includes money, relatives, your own ability and willpower to stay independent, etc. My advice is if physically and financially you can live independently, you should certainly do that. If you do, you will still need to have visits from your family frequently. You need your family. Even if you don’t need them to take care of you, you need them for the fellowship. The more fellowship you have, the longer you’ll live. If you can stay independent do it, but only if friends and relatives can see you often. In my case, I can’t walk, and I can’t do much physically. So, whether I like it or not, someone else has to get me up, get me showered, and get me dressed. I am blessed to have

Why Is Obedience So Hard?

There are several reasons why obedience seems hard. I will comment on some of them and then speak positively on how obedience is easy. We think: 1) Obedience is an infringement on freedom. Since we are free in Christ, and obedience is somehow contrary to that freedom, we conclude that obedience is not good. Yet we know it is good. Thus, we become confused about obedience and are not single-minded. 2) Obedience is works. We who have been justified by grace through faith are opposed to works; therefore, we are opposed to obedience. 3) We have tried to obey and have failed—frequently. Therefore, the only solution is to disobey and later confess to receive forgiveness. It is easier to be forgiven by grace than to obey by effort. 4) We confuse obedience to men with obedience to God. Although these are sometimes one and the same (see Romans 13, 1 Peter 2-3, Ephesians 5-6, Colossians 3, and Titus 2), sometimes they are not the same (see Colossians 2:20-23, Mark 7, 1 Timothy 4:1-5, a

Three Types of People Christians Aren't Loving

There are three types of people in the world that Christians do not love with the Gospel . The first type are the people we witness to but do not love. The second type are the unbelievers that we do not witness to. The third are people we love but do not witness to. That sounds like doubletalk. Let’s change it. 1) We witness to people we love. 2) We love everybody and witness to them with love. As Christians, we have the fruit of the Spirit—love. We are commanded to love our neighbors and our enemies. The first thing is to have the love. The second is to choose to love our neighbors and enemies. Sometimes we can’t make the choice because we have lost the fruit of the Spirit, love. We lack the fruit of the Spirit of love because we are under the chastening of the Lord because of unconfessed sin. In order to get the love back, we must confess sin. Once we get the love back, we can choose to love our neighbors and enemies and preach the gospel to them.   Written December 22,