Skip to main content

Children and Lying

Recently I was asked how to keep children from lying. There are several answers to that question. The first is: you can’t. They are born liars. My parents were successful in teaching me not to use profanity, slang, tobacco, alcohol, or girls. They were not successful in teaching me not to lie. I lied my way through high school.

The second answer is to teach them the negative consequences of lying: if caught, an immediate, hard spanking. This will thin down the lying. However, it will also help them to figure out how to not to get caught.

The third is to teach them the everlasting consequences of lying.
Nothing impure will ever enter into it nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb’s book of life. (Rev. 21:27)

Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood. (Rev. 22:15)
When we teach this judgment, we should also teach the gospel of Jesus Christ. When people receive Christ, several things happen:

• They are washed, made clean, purified, and sanctified (1 Cor. 6:11).
• Their names are written in the book of life (Rev. 21:27).
• They are dead to sin (Rom. 6:1-2).

As it was normal for an unbeliever to lie, so it is not normal for a believer to lie.

If you already know the child is guilty of something, do not ask him if he did it. He will say that he did not do it. You have just helped him lie. Then you have to spank him for lying on top of whatever else he did. There is an American idiom that is right on: “Ask me no questions, and I’ll tell you no lies.”

Instead, tell him that you know that he did it, and ask him if he would he like to tell you why. He may still lie, but it will be harder for him to come up with a story. If the story is obviously fiction, tell him you do not want to hear any more.

How do you keep from lying? Recognize that lies are from Satan. Stay filled with the fruit of the Spirit. Recognize that your old man has been put off, and lying is no longer normal.

If you have lied, confess your sin to God. If you do not confess the lies you have already told, it is almost certain that you will lie again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ripe for Harvest: Prepared to Give an Answer

As you read through the book of Acts, look at every conversion, and see what happened right before it: what was said, who said it. The situations are the same today.     A long time ago, my duty in the Officer’s Christian Fellowship was the east coast of the United States. I went to an officer’s office at Fort Lee, VA, and stayed overnight, then I went on to Norfolk and Fort Bragg.    Forty years later, I was no longer on the staff of OCF, but I had to go to Denver. While I was in Denver, I checked in at the OCF offices. There was the same Air Force officer I had met in Fort Lee, retired now, a colonel. I had stayed in his house when he was a first lieutenant. He asked me, “Do you know what happened when you stayed overnight?” I said, “No, I just remember staying in your home.” He said, “You led the next-door neighbor to Christ.” I had no memory of it.    Ten years after that, I was speaking at a banquet at the Hotel Salisbury, and who was th...

Why Is Obedience So Hard?

There are several reasons why obedience seems hard. I will comment on some of them and then speak positively on how obedience is easy. We think: 1) Obedience is an infringement on freedom. Since we are free in Christ, and obedience is somehow contrary to that freedom, we conclude that obedience is not good. Yet we know it is good. Thus, we become confused about obedience and are not single-minded. 2) Obedience is works. We who have been justified by grace through faith are opposed to works; therefore, we are opposed to obedience. 3) We have tried to obey and have failed—frequently. Therefore, the only solution is to disobey and later confess to receive forgiveness. It is easier to be forgiven by grace than to obey by effort. 4) We confuse obedience to men with obedience to God. Although these are sometimes one and the same (see Romans 13, 1 Peter 2-3, Ephesians 5-6, Colossians 3, and Titus 2), sometimes they are not the same (see Colossians 2:20-23, Mark 7, 1 Timothy 4:1-5, a...

Biblical Love (Part 1)

God tells husbands to love their wives. How are we to do that, and what does that love look like? Love Her as Your Neighbor “Jesus replied: ‘“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.” This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: “Love your neighbor as yourself”’” (Matt. 22:37-39). “Yourself” is someone you already greatly love, and therefore is a good standard for how to love someone else. For a start, calculate how much time you spend thinking about yourself on an average day. Second, list all the things you do for yourself, including bathing, eating, sleeping, and studying. Third, admit that these things are expressions of love for yourself. Fourth, admit that you do not love your neighbor (even your best friend) this much. Fifth, admit that that is a violation of God’s command and needs His forgiveness. Turn to Him for forgiveness. This will not make you loving, but it will make you clean . From that posi...