Skip to main content

Thankfulness & Confession


This is a guest post from Brad Scheelke, manager of Oasis Books in Logan, Utah. 

Greetings in our kind and merciful Father.

“It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God —that is our righteousness, holiness and redemption. Therefore, as it is written: ‘Let him who boasts boast in the Lord’” (1 Corinthians 1:30-31).

Let’s thank the Father often that because of Him we are in His Son.

When you think of wisdom, what do you think about? Is it about how well or poorly you know the Bible?

When you think of holiness, what do you think about? Is it about how consistently you obey God or how frequently you sin?

This passage states that the person of Jesus Christ is our wisdom, holiness, righteousness, and redemption. It does not say that He has given these to us, but rather that He IS these for us. It does not depend on our performance, but only on whether we are in the Son. If we have Him, we have all these things.

Therefore, let us boast (glory or rejoice) in Him. Many believers I know experience significant discouragement because they have difficulty moving their eyes from their failures to Christ. This does not mean we should excuse our sin; but we should see it in light of His holiness rather in light of a perfect performance. If you happen to be one of those saints who has difficulty seeing beyond your failures, I suggest thanking the Father for what you read or know from the Scriptures that He has done for you in His Son. Thank Him often and even out loud.

Twenty years ago, I wrote a short booklet entitled Thankfulness and Confession, which tells how God the Father encouraged the heart of a believing friend who was nearly always severely depressed and hardly ever smiled, in spite of spending most of his time listening to the Bible on tape, Bible preaching, and Christian music. But as he began to thank the Father for what He had done for him, his spirits began to rise, slowly at first, but steadily. After a few years, he became one of the most cheerful saints I know. The old temptations to depression, paranoia, rejection, and condemnation are rare and easily resisted. For years, he had been fearful of speaking up in Bible studies. Now he easily prays out loud and has led Bible studies. Our Father certainly is patient with those who are weak. If you would like to read his story, follow this link to get a copy. The application is so simple that most readers seem to neglect to make the choice this brother made.

Brad Scheelke

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Old

This is a post for those who are getting old or considering themselves old, from 65-100. Right now, I am 91.* I will be 92 in October. I have my own house, but I cannot live in it alone because of my physical inability to move around. One of my sons lives with me. All of us will have to make some adjustments. That includes money, relatives, your own ability and willpower to stay independent, etc. My advice is if physically and financially you can live independently, you should certainly do that. If you do, you will still need to have visits from your family frequently. You need your family. Even if you don’t need them to take care of you, you need them for the fellowship. The more fellowship you have, the longer you’ll live. If you can stay independent do it, but only if friends and relatives can see you often. In my case, I can’t walk, and I can’t do much physically. So, whether I like it or not, someone else has to get me up, get me showered, and get me dressed. I am blessed to have

Why Is Obedience So Hard?

There are several reasons why obedience seems hard. I will comment on some of them and then speak positively on how obedience is easy. We think: 1) Obedience is an infringement on freedom. Since we are free in Christ, and obedience is somehow contrary to that freedom, we conclude that obedience is not good. Yet we know it is good. Thus, we become confused about obedience and are not single-minded. 2) Obedience is works. We who have been justified by grace through faith are opposed to works; therefore, we are opposed to obedience. 3) We have tried to obey and have failed—frequently. Therefore, the only solution is to disobey and later confess to receive forgiveness. It is easier to be forgiven by grace than to obey by effort. 4) We confuse obedience to men with obedience to God. Although these are sometimes one and the same (see Romans 13, 1 Peter 2-3, Ephesians 5-6, Colossians 3, and Titus 2), sometimes they are not the same (see Colossians 2:20-23, Mark 7, 1 Timothy 4:1-5, a

Constant Victory

I came across the following poem (prayer) and devotional in Amy Carmichael's book Edges of His Ways :   Before the winds that blow do cease, Teach me to dwell within thy calm; Before the pain has passed in peace, Give me, my God, to sing a psalm. Let me not lose the chance to prove The fulness of enabling love. O Love of God, do this for me; Maintain a constant victory.   Before I leave the desert land For meadows of immortal flowers, Lead me where streams at thy command Flow by the borders of the hours, That when the thirsty come I may Show them the fountains in the way. O love of God, do this for me; Maintain a constant victory.   "This prayer was written for the ill, and for the tired. It is so easy to fail when not feeling fit. As I thought of them, I also remembered those who, thank God, are not ill and yet can be hard-pressed. Sometimes in the midst of the rush of things, it seems impossible to be victorious, always to be peaceful,