Jim Wilson is the retired director of Community Christian Ministries in Moscow, Idaho. He will be posting regularly, so check back in soon!

Friday, January 26, 2007

Sound Judgment

An unfriendly man pursues selfish ends; he defies all sound judgment. A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions. (Proverbs 18:1, 2 NIV)

When I am estranged or separated from the Lord in fellowship, the last thing I want to hear is sound judgment. I will barricade myself against it. But since I cannot barricade against sound judgment with sound judgment, I must do it with pretexts: shallow, surface, weak things which deceive only me. It is my attempt to stay estranged. If the searchlight of sound judgment breaks into my hideout, I find myself confessing, forsaking and no longer estranged but restored to the Lord.

During my estrangement I take no pleasure in understanding but I am very eager to express my opinion. After I am back in fellowship I am amazed how stupid I was with my opinions. How I regret my big mouth. Truly it is foolish.

(An excerpt from On Being a Christian by Jim Wilson)

No comments: