Jim Wilson is the retired director of Community Christian Ministries in Moscow, Idaho. He will be posting regularly, so check back in soon!

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Obedient, Holy Living

“My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense – Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.” 1 John 2:1-2 (NIV)

In the many years I have been a Christian, I have been at first surprised, and always dismayed at the low expectations believers have of their living an obedient, holy life. I am no longer surprised, but I am still dismayed.

When there is a desire to live an obedient life, they seem to take one of the following directions:

1. “Make Jesus Lord of their lives.”
2. “Receive the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.”
3. Have a second work of grace, sanctification.

Although I am stating the following without expressed biblical proof, I am willing to make the case. These “solutions” are:

• not biblical
• man-centered, experience centered
• they do not work

Or, they give up as in the following:

1.Accept the “truth” that the “old nature” is with me until I die, so why fight the inevitable?

2.Since I am going to sin anyway, I will try to keep my sins confessed up-to-date.

3.Since it is inconsistent to sin and then confess, I will quit confessing in order to stay consistent.

These three are aids to more disobedience. The solution is in the first sentence of 1 John 2:1.

(Taken from Day and Night)

No comments: