Then the word of the Lord came to me: "Son of man, these men have set up idols in their hearts and put wicked stumbling blocks before their faces. Should I let them inquire of me at all?” (Ezek. 14:2-5)Do you see the parallel?
But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. (1 Pet. 3:15-16)
• “These men have set up idols in their hearts.” (Ezek. 14:2-5 NIV)Worship begins in the heart. Idolatry is in the heart long before the physical idol is made. Worship of Jesus Christ is in the heart, not relegated to a special day and special buildings.
• “In your hearts set apart Christ as Lord.” (1 Peter 3:15-16 NIV)
• “Enthrone Christ in your hearts.” (Knox)
• “Sanctify the Lord God in your heart.” (KJV)
• “Set apart, in your heart, high and lifted up, Jesus Christ as Lord.” (Miss Irene Webster-Smith)