Skip to main content

How God Taught Me to Forgive

This is another excerpt from Climbing by Rosalind Goforth.

“He that doth not forgive burns the bridge over which he himself must needs pass, for the Lord hath said, ‘If ye forgive not…neither will your father forgive you.’”

The tragic story of how, but for the mercy of God, that jagged rock of unforgiveness would have wrecked me, body and soul, is given as a solemn warning to others.

The first sad details of how and why the demon of hate and unforgiveness entered my heart cannot be given, for another is involved who has passed on. Suffice it to say that those who knew the facts agree that humanly speaking one can scarcely imagine a case where unforgiveness was more justified; yet my dear husband, who had equal reason with myself for feeling as I did, quietly and calmly laid it all before the Lord and left it there, begged me to do the same; but I could not, or rather would not, forgive.

For more than a year, while the source of trouble remained at our station, I would not speak to or recognize that one. Four years passed, during which time the matter remained with me more or less in abeyance. Then one day my husband and I were traveling by train with a number of coworkers en route to the religious fair at Hsunhsien, where a campaign of evangelism was carried on. This year I had been put in charge of the women’s work there.

For months I had been deeply but secretly moved by the evident spiritual power that had come into my husband’s life. I, his wife, could not but see that he was indeed filled with the Spirit of God. There had come into my soul a great yearning that I, too, might have this fullness of Spirit.

As we sat there on the train that day, I asked my husband to sit with the others, for I wanted to be alone. When he left, I bent my head and cried to God to fill me with His Spirit as he has filled my husband. Unmistakably clear came the Inner Voice, “Write to (the one towards whom I felt hatred and unforgiveness), and ask forgiveness for the way you have treated him!” My whole soul cried out, “Never, never can I forgive him!” Again I prayed as before, and again the Inner Voice spoke clearly as before. Again I cried out in my heart, “Never; never. I will never forgive him!” When for the third time this was repeated, I jumped to my feet and said to myself, “I’ll give it all up, for I’ll never, never forgive!” I joined the others and laughed and talked to hide my agitation. Then followed the saddest part of my life. For several months, I preached and prayed to keep up appearances but all the while my heart was becoming harder, colder, and more hopeless.

Then one day that passage in the Pilgrim’s Progress came to me (I think I was reading to the children), where Christian, when going through the house of the Interpreter, came to the man in the cage who said, “I have grieved the Spirit, and He is gone: I have provoked God to anger, and He has left me.” As I read this passage, a terrible conviction came upon me that the words I have quoted were true of me. During the two days and nights that followed, I was in the depths of despair, believing God’s Holy Spirit had left me. My husband was away from home, and there seemed no one to whom I could turn. Then God in His mercy sent someone to me.

A young missionary whose wife had died under peculiarly sad circumstances, when passing through our station, came over to see me. It was evening, and the children were in bed. We sat on the front steps together while he sobbingly told of his wife’s tragic death. Suddenly the very flood gates seemed loosed within me, and I gave way to uncontrollable weeping. When able, I told all the story as I have related it, and its sad, early details, then ended with, “I have grieved the Holy Spirit of God, and He has left me!”

“But Mrs. Goforth,” he said, “are you willing to write the letter?”

I replied: “I now know what it would be to be without God and without hope, and if I could only have another chance, there is nothing I would not do.”

Again he asked, “Are you willing to write that letter?”

“Yes,” I replied.

“Then go at once and write it.”

With a glorious ray of hope dawning in me, I ran into the house and in a few minutes returned with the letter. It was just a few lines of humble apology for my actions, with out any reference to the other part. Oh, the joy that came, and thankfulness that it was indeed not too late.

From that time, I have never DARED not to forgive. There have been times when or hours, or even days, the battle was on again, but always the remembrance of this experience enabled me to conquer and forgive.

Comments

Anonymous said…
when they molest your children and they are for whatever reason, still free, how do you protect your children and still forgive?
Jameswilson said…
Jesus taught on love and enemies. This is real love. He gave no exceptions.

If we do not forgive, it is very likely he will not become a Christian. If we love him with the love of God, he is more likely to get saved. We cannot guarantee that he will get saved if we love him, but we can guarantee that he will not get saved as a result of knowing us if we do not forgive him.

Your question sounds like an excuse to not love him.

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Old

This is a post for those who are getting old or considering themselves old, from 65-100. Right now, I am 91.* I will be 92 in October. I have my own house, but I cannot live in it alone because of my physical inability to move around. One of my sons lives with me. All of us will have to make some adjustments. That includes money, relatives, your own ability and willpower to stay independent, etc. My advice is if physically and financially you can live independently, you should certainly do that. If you do, you will still need to have visits from your family frequently. You need your family. Even if you don’t need them to take care of you, you need them for the fellowship. The more fellowship you have, the longer you’ll live. If you can stay independent do it, but only if friends and relatives can see you often. In my case, I can’t walk, and I can’t do much physically. So, whether I like it or not, someone else has to get me up, get me showered, and get me dressed. I am blessed to have

Why Is Obedience So Hard?

There are several reasons why obedience seems hard. I will comment on some of them and then speak positively on how obedience is easy. We think: 1) Obedience is an infringement on freedom. Since we are free in Christ, and obedience is somehow contrary to that freedom, we conclude that obedience is not good. Yet we know it is good. Thus, we become confused about obedience and are not single-minded. 2) Obedience is works. We who have been justified by grace through faith are opposed to works; therefore, we are opposed to obedience. 3) We have tried to obey and have failed—frequently. Therefore, the only solution is to disobey and later confess to receive forgiveness. It is easier to be forgiven by grace than to obey by effort. 4) We confuse obedience to men with obedience to God. Although these are sometimes one and the same (see Romans 13, 1 Peter 2-3, Ephesians 5-6, Colossians 3, and Titus 2), sometimes they are not the same (see Colossians 2:20-23, Mark 7, 1 Timothy 4:1-5, a

Three Types of People Christians Aren't Loving

There are three types of people in the world that Christians do not love with the Gospel . The first type are the people we witness to but do not love. The second type are the unbelievers that we do not witness to. The third are people we love but do not witness to. That sounds like doubletalk. Let’s change it. 1) We witness to people we love. 2) We love everybody and witness to them with love. As Christians, we have the fruit of the Spirit—love. We are commanded to love our neighbors and our enemies. The first thing is to have the love. The second is to choose to love our neighbors and enemies. Sometimes we can’t make the choice because we have lost the fruit of the Spirit, love. We lack the fruit of the Spirit of love because we are under the chastening of the Lord because of unconfessed sin. In order to get the love back, we must confess sin. Once we get the love back, we can choose to love our neighbors and enemies and preach the gospel to them.   Written December 22,