Skip to main content

When to Forgive Someone

When God forgives, there is a transmission of grace to the person who needs forgiving. When is this forgiveness extended?

God is the prime mover in all things. When Jesus died on the cross he paid for sins and sinners who were not yet born and certainly not yet repentant. Grace and forgiveness were extended then. If not then, then certainly when a person is called which is still before his repentance and faith. Forgiveness is extended as a means or a cause of repentance. It is part of preaching Christ. “Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ” (Rom. 10:17). This forgiveness is not received until there is repentance.

• Acts 26:17-18: "I will rescue you from your own people and from the Gentiles. I am sending you to them to open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me."
• Luke 24:46-47: "He told them, 'This is what is written: The Christ will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, and repentance and forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.'"
• Luke 13:3-5" "I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish. Or those eighteen who died when the tower in Siloam fell on them - do you think they were more guilty than all the others living in Jerusalem? I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish."
• Luke 5:20-26: "When Jesus saw their faith, he said, 'Friend, your sins are forgiven.' The Pharisees and the teachers of the law began thinking to themselves, 'Who is this fellow who speaks blasphemy? Who can forgive sins but God alone?' Jesus knew what they were thinking and asked, 'Why are you thinking these things in your hearts? Which is easier: to say, "Your sins are forgiven," or to say, "Get up and walk"? But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins....' He said to the paralyzed man, 'I tell you, get up, take your mat and go home.' Immediately he stood up in front of them, took what he had been lying on and went home praising God. Everyone was amazed and gave praise to God. They were filled with awe and said, 'We have seen remarkable things today.'"

For the unbeliever, if there is no repentance, there is no forgiveness and no salvation. For the Christian, if there is no forgiveness from us, there is no forgiveness for us. “Then the master called the servant in. ‘You wicked servant,’ he said, ‘I canceled all that debt of yours because you begged me to. Shouldn’t you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you?’ In anger his master handed him over to the jailers to be tortured, until he should pay back all he owed. This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother from your heart” (Matt. 18:32-35).

Because God is both “ready to forgive” (Psalm 86:5) and forgiving, there may not be really any real difference between them. What makes it different is when we apply the “ready to forgive” as a doctrine to man. If we withhold forgiveness from someone because we think he is not repentant, we are really withholding forgiveness from ourselves.

When I forgive someone, it does not help him at all, because only God can cleanse a man’s heart by forgiveness. "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness" (1 John 1:9). When I forgive him, nothing happens to him. It only happens to me.

“Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors... For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you” (Matt. 6:12, 14). For the believer, if there is no forgiveness from the heart, there is no forgiveness to him. If I am really ready to forgive as God is, then I am already forgiving, and my heart is clean.

However, if I hold it as a doctrine, then by deliberately withholding forgiveness I may have put myself into a position of not being ready to forgive. I spend my time waiting and watching for his repentance and judging whether he is really repentant, and consequently I hurt myself.

Yes, we should take Luke 17:3-4 more literally than Mr. Whitney says. He says “we should be willing to forgive the repentant believer no matter how often he sincerely repents.” Mr. Whitney added “willing” and “sincerely” to Jesus' statement. We, then, are to be willing only if we see him as sincerely repentant. Anyone who has been repeatedly sinned against in one day (after each of which the perpetrator says, “I repent”) is going to suspect that that person is not “sincerely” repentant. We are to forgive because he says, “I repent”. We are not to judge the sincerity of the repentance. We are to forgive from the heart. If I do not, I am in big trouble with God.

In Matthew 18:21-22, "Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, ‘Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?’ Jesus answered, ‘I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.’" There is no indication of repentance in this passage. It is endless forgiveness. You may call this being “ready to forgive,” but Jesus does not use that expression. It is not being "ready" to forgive. It is forgiving. It is already having forgiven. It is not waiting for repentance.

In Luke 5:20-26, Jesus forgave the man who was brought to Him to be healed. He later healed him. That man did not come to repent. It was the bearer’s faith, not the man’s faith, that Jesus recognized.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Is Obedience So Hard?

There are several reasons why obedience seems hard. I will comment on some of them and then speak positively on how obedience is easy. We think: 1) Obedience is an infringement on freedom. Since we are free in Christ, and obedience is somehow contrary to that freedom, we conclude that obedience is not good. Yet we know it is good. Thus, we become confused about obedience and are not single-minded. 2) Obedience is works. We who have been justified by grace through faith are opposed to works; therefore, we are opposed to obedience. 3) We have tried to obey and have failed—frequently. Therefore, the only solution is to disobey and later confess to receive forgiveness. It is easier to be forgiven by grace than to obey by effort. 4) We confuse obedience to men with obedience to God. Although these are sometimes one and the same (see Romans 13, 1 Peter 2-3, Ephesians 5-6, Colossians 3, and Titus 2), sometimes they are not the same (see Colossians 2:20-23, Mark 7, 1 Timothy 4:1-5, a

Getting Old

This is a post for those who are getting old or considering themselves old, from 65-100. Right now, I am 91.* I will be 92 in October. I have my own house, but I cannot live in it alone because of my physical inability to move around. One of my sons lives with me. All of us will have to make some adjustments. That includes money, relatives, your own ability and willpower to stay independent, etc. My advice is if physically and financially you can live independently, you should certainly do that. If you do, you will still need to have visits from your family frequently. You need your family. Even if you don’t need them to take care of you, you need them for the fellowship. The more fellowship you have, the longer you’ll live. If you can stay independent do it, but only if friends and relatives can see you often. In my case, I can’t walk, and I can’t do much physically. So, whether I like it or not, someone else has to get me up, get me showered, and get me dressed. I am blessed to have

Three Types of People Christians Aren't Loving

There are three types of people in the world that Christians do not love with the Gospel . The first type are the people we witness to but do not love. The second type are the unbelievers that we do not witness to. The third are people we love but do not witness to. That sounds like doubletalk. Let’s change it. 1) We witness to people we love. 2) We love everybody and witness to them with love. As Christians, we have the fruit of the Spirit—love. We are commanded to love our neighbors and our enemies. The first thing is to have the love. The second is to choose to love our neighbors and enemies. Sometimes we can’t make the choice because we have lost the fruit of the Spirit, love. We lack the fruit of the Spirit of love because we are under the chastening of the Lord because of unconfessed sin. In order to get the love back, we must confess sin. Once we get the love back, we can choose to love our neighbors and enemies and preach the gospel to them.   Written December 22,