Skip to main content

A Note on Missionary Methods

This was found when going through my old correspondence files. It is a letter I wrote to CCM supporters upon returning from my around-the-world trip in 1981. It is still relevant today.

May 14, 1981

Dear Friends:

It has been close to two months since I returned from a nine-week round-the-world trip. Certainly God was in it. He directed my steps daily. Here are a few observations out of many things I learned while I was gone.

Many years ago, Jesus' statement in John 4:35 impressed me as a truth that was always true. "Do you not say 'four months more and then the harvest'? I tell you open your eyes and look at the fields. They are ripe for harvest.”

If is always true, then it is true in every society at any given time. Over the years I have found it true. Again I found it true in Japan, Korea, Egypt, and Germany as people came to the Lord. Others had sown; I was there for the reaping. I believe it is far truer than missionaries or native Christians believe. We are still saying, “Four months more and then the harvest."

Cairo is dirty with clean dirt and dirty dirt. It is a city of 10 million people, many of them unemployed, and there is much poverty. Garbage is collected by 50,000 people who recycle it and live on it. Many of these are little children.

Germany, on the other hand, is super clean. I saw a truck with a mechanical brush scrubbing the white posts along the highway. Then I saw a man scrubbing a stop sign.

In both of these countries, the spiritual darkness was oppressing. It forced me to modify a view that physical cleanliness was the result of being spiritually clean. I still think that there is a relationship, but not one of direct cause and effect.

I had fellowship with missionaries, both long-term missionaries committed to solid church planting and fast hit-and-run evangelists. The biggest problem was not difference in method but relationships, mostly within missions and within families. I visited missionary children at their schools and separately in Japan, Korea, Philippines, Thailand, and France, and found much bitterness toward parents. As a corollary to bitterness, I saw some rebellion.

This confirmed an impression I have had for some time that many mission boards and missionaries who are sent out think that the Great Commission is primary, that it is more important than personal godliness and certainly more important than loving time with their children. It also confirmed an impression that an American cultural Christian education was more important than keeping the children with the parents. These two false priorities cause families in many cases to be unnecessarily separated.

Concerning methods of evangelism, there seemed to be two extremes:

1. Too much identification with the attitudes of the local church
2. Too little identification with the culture of the people

In the first instance, we have examples in Japan and Egypt. The native church has a survival mentality rather than an attitude of "Give me this mountain” (Joshua 14:12). In Japan, it is an acceptance of the culture as something the Gospel cannot penetrate except in little ways. In Egypt, it is fear of the Moslems and fear of the government that causes a hesitancy of witnessing to Moslems. When missionaries identify too much with the local church, they are also affected by these attitudes. Consequently, conversions are relatively few.

In the second instance, we have missionaries who put a heavy dependence on the distribution of truth by mass literature distribution without taking time to love the people or the person. The truth is thus truncated. It is given without the power that is part of the Gospel. Consequently, there are few conversions. In an endeavor to reach the whole, they take a shortcut. They trade quality for quantity. A good biblical example is found in 1 Thessalonians 1:4-8:

"Knowing, brethren beloved by God, His choice of you; for our gospel did not come to you in word only, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction; just as you know what kind of men we proved to be among you for your sake. You also became imitators of us and of the Lord, having received the word in much tribulation with the joy of the Holy Spirit, so that you became an example to all the believers in Macedonia and in Achaia. For the word of the Lord has sounded forth from you, not only in Macedonia and Achaia, but also in every place your faith toward God has gone forth, so that we have no need to say anything."

I had prayed before I left the States for an opportunity to witness to a Pakistani on the plane. In a wonderful way, He answered that prayer twice. Kelly and I sat on either side of a Pakistani attorney from Manila to Bangkok. I was able to give him I Dared to Call Him Father by Bayles Sheikh, and later I sent him an NIV Bible and The Life of Jesus the Son of Mary in Urdu. His name is Mohammed Lalif Baig. He lives in Fafsalabad. I have written to David Mitchell in Islamabad to follow through on the witness.

Then from Berlin to Paris I sat with S. A. Hosiin from Karachi. He also received a copy of The Life of Jesus in Urdu. His brother teaches at the University of Wyoming. He was going on to the States to visit his brother. I gave him a note so he could pick up a free Bible at the Watering Hole Bookstore in Laramie.

I had prayed and asked others to pray that I would not get tired and that I would come home refreshed. Thank you for praying, because I did come home refreshed.

The time with Heather was a time of special happiness. She has given herself to the people. The eight Ethiopians (seven of them Muslims) who received Christ were made ready by her loving attention. By the time you receive this, she will be on her way home. Please continue to pray for her.

Hundreds of God-directed events happened during those nine weeks, all of them wonderful. Thank you for your prayers and gifts.

In the Lord Jesus Christ,

Jim Wilson

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Old

This is a post for those who are getting old or considering themselves old, from 65-100. Right now, I am 91.* I will be 92 in October. I have my own house, but I cannot live in it alone because of my physical inability to move around. One of my sons lives with me. All of us will have to make some adjustments. That includes money, relatives, your own ability and willpower to stay independent, etc. My advice is if physically and financially you can live independently, you should certainly do that. If you do, you will still need to have visits from your family frequently. You need your family. Even if you don’t need them to take care of you, you need them for the fellowship. The more fellowship you have, the longer you’ll live. If you can stay independent do it, but only if friends and relatives can see you often. In my case, I can’t walk, and I can’t do much physically. So, whether I like it or not, someone else has to get me up, get me showered, and get me dressed. I am blessed to have

Why Is Obedience So Hard?

There are several reasons why obedience seems hard. I will comment on some of them and then speak positively on how obedience is easy. We think: 1) Obedience is an infringement on freedom. Since we are free in Christ, and obedience is somehow contrary to that freedom, we conclude that obedience is not good. Yet we know it is good. Thus, we become confused about obedience and are not single-minded. 2) Obedience is works. We who have been justified by grace through faith are opposed to works; therefore, we are opposed to obedience. 3) We have tried to obey and have failed—frequently. Therefore, the only solution is to disobey and later confess to receive forgiveness. It is easier to be forgiven by grace than to obey by effort. 4) We confuse obedience to men with obedience to God. Although these are sometimes one and the same (see Romans 13, 1 Peter 2-3, Ephesians 5-6, Colossians 3, and Titus 2), sometimes they are not the same (see Colossians 2:20-23, Mark 7, 1 Timothy 4:1-5, a

Three Types of People Christians Aren't Loving

There are three types of people in the world that Christians do not love with the Gospel . The first type are the people we witness to but do not love. The second type are the unbelievers that we do not witness to. The third are people we love but do not witness to. That sounds like doubletalk. Let’s change it. 1) We witness to people we love. 2) We love everybody and witness to them with love. As Christians, we have the fruit of the Spirit—love. We are commanded to love our neighbors and our enemies. The first thing is to have the love. The second is to choose to love our neighbors and enemies. Sometimes we can’t make the choice because we have lost the fruit of the Spirit, love. We lack the fruit of the Spirit of love because we are under the chastening of the Lord because of unconfessed sin. In order to get the love back, we must confess sin. Once we get the love back, we can choose to love our neighbors and enemies and preach the gospel to them.   Written December 22,