Skip to main content

The Price for Peace by C. Stephen David

Below is an article from a co-laborer in India. He has had “How to Be Free From Bitterness” translated into Telugu and is working on an English edition that fits into Indian English and idiom. His name is C. Stephen David.

THE PRICE FOR PEACE

“Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy” (Hebrews 12:14).

No one is immune from conflicts in relationships. Virtually all of us know the hurt that often causes intense pain within interpersonal relationships. Needless to say, living in unity with others is not an easy issue. Remember, there is a price to be paid to live at peace with others. Healthy relationships are not built automatically but with great effort.

The Lord once taught me a wonderful lesson regarding the price I have to pay for preserving peace in relationships. When my wife was pregnant with our first child, one day, I hurriedly got on the bed to sleep. Before going further, I must say that my wife is known for cleanliness. She usually surprises the guests with her neatest house. Because my wife was carrying the child, she could not do much of the house work as she was physically weak. That was the time I was disciplined to become a family man. So when I got on the bed, my wife requested me to do a small task. She politely told me to wash the vessels before I go to sleep (usually, in India, to wash the dishes is below the dignity of a man J).

Now it was winter season and I was feeling cold and a bit lazy to get up. I told her I will wash the dishes the next morning. She however insisted to wash before going to sleep because to leave the vessels unwashed throughout the night would create a stench in the kitchen. I argued with her that I will wash in the morning and right away went to sleep. The next day I got up to do the house work. As I was washing the vessels, the Lord brought a Scripture to my mind and it was so enlightening.

The lesson I learned that day was an unforgettable experience. The Lord reminded of the Scripture in Hebrews 12:14, “Make every effort to live in peace with all men.” Last night I went to sleep without having peace with my wife. Had I taken little effort to get up to wash the vessels I could have possessed great peace with her and prayed together before going to sleep. Paul said to the Roman saints, “Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification” (Rom. 14:19).

Notice, it is not written, “Desire to live at peace with others.” There are many who desire and talk a lot about living at peace and in unity without making any effort. I learned that in living a Christian life it takes effort, pain and denial of self in order to be at peace with others. Forgiveness, patience, generosity, humility and grace signifies denial of self in our love for others. In the original Greek, “make every effort”, could also mean, "to seek after eagerly; earnestly endeavor to acquire; by implication, to suffer persecution.”

To be at peace with others requires earnest pursuance and even a will to suffer. To get into conflict is very easy, but to live at peace is extremely difficult. Relationships crumble because of casual and flippant attitude. When we take relationships seriously and make every effort to live at peace with everyone, there is scope for healthy and prosperous relationships. To the saints in Ephesus, Paul as well exhorted, “Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace” (4:3).

Genuine relationships are built on the pathway of sacrifice. We have to pay the price to cultivate good relationships. God desired our relationship so much that He restored us back at the cost of laying His life for us on the Cross. Just think, if it cost God His life to bring us back at peace with Him, how then do we expect ourselves to be at peace with others without taking pains? If we sit coolly and expect things to work out all well, that’s not possible. But those who walk in the footsteps of our Lord will see great fruit in their relationship with others. Like God, they value relationships and therefore make every effort to be at peace with others. Note this fact—No pain, No peace.


(Taken from Day & Night, 2005)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Old

This is a post for those who are getting old or considering themselves old, from 65-100. Right now, I am 91.* I will be 92 in October. I have my own house, but I cannot live in it alone because of my physical inability to move around. One of my sons lives with me. All of us will have to make some adjustments. That includes money, relatives, your own ability and willpower to stay independent, etc. My advice is if physically and financially you can live independently, you should certainly do that. If you do, you will still need to have visits from your family frequently. You need your family. Even if you don’t need them to take care of you, you need them for the fellowship. The more fellowship you have, the longer you’ll live. If you can stay independent do it, but only if friends and relatives can see you often. In my case, I can’t walk, and I can’t do much physically. So, whether I like it or not, someone else has to get me up, get me showered, and get me dressed. I am blessed to have

Why Is Obedience So Hard?

There are several reasons why obedience seems hard. I will comment on some of them and then speak positively on how obedience is easy. We think: 1) Obedience is an infringement on freedom. Since we are free in Christ, and obedience is somehow contrary to that freedom, we conclude that obedience is not good. Yet we know it is good. Thus, we become confused about obedience and are not single-minded. 2) Obedience is works. We who have been justified by grace through faith are opposed to works; therefore, we are opposed to obedience. 3) We have tried to obey and have failed—frequently. Therefore, the only solution is to disobey and later confess to receive forgiveness. It is easier to be forgiven by grace than to obey by effort. 4) We confuse obedience to men with obedience to God. Although these are sometimes one and the same (see Romans 13, 1 Peter 2-3, Ephesians 5-6, Colossians 3, and Titus 2), sometimes they are not the same (see Colossians 2:20-23, Mark 7, 1 Timothy 4:1-5, a

Three Types of People Christians Aren't Loving

There are three types of people in the world that Christians do not love with the Gospel . The first type are the people we witness to but do not love. The second type are the unbelievers that we do not witness to. The third are people we love but do not witness to. That sounds like doubletalk. Let’s change it. 1) We witness to people we love. 2) We love everybody and witness to them with love. As Christians, we have the fruit of the Spirit—love. We are commanded to love our neighbors and our enemies. The first thing is to have the love. The second is to choose to love our neighbors and enemies. Sometimes we can’t make the choice because we have lost the fruit of the Spirit, love. We lack the fruit of the Spirit of love because we are under the chastening of the Lord because of unconfessed sin. In order to get the love back, we must confess sin. Once we get the love back, we can choose to love our neighbors and enemies and preach the gospel to them.   Written December 22,