Skip to main content

How to Wear the Right Clothes

This is not a fashion blog. But these clothes are even more important than the ones in your closet.
Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one anther. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love which binds them all together in perfect unity. (Col. 3:12-14)
Paul is speaking clearly to Christians here. How do we know? He calls them God’s chosen people, holy, and dearly loved.

He then tells these Christians to put on undergarments of:

• compassion
• kindness
• humility
• gentleness
• patience

Although these characteristics are part of us, they all relate to other people. I don't have compassion for myself. Rather, I have it for others. When I have kindness or patience for or with someone, it is not condescending, nor does it take willpower or effort on my part.

In verse 14, Paul tells the believers to put on love, and he gives them an opportunity to practice the character and qualities of this underwear. How?

“Bear with each other.”
“Forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another.”
“Forgive as the Lord forgave you.”

The instruction to bear with each other prevents annoyance and any grievance. Bearing with each other keeps attitude sins from happening.

Forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. This takes place after a grievance has occurred. There is no hint that the source of the grievance is a sin. It might not be. The grievance may be the other person’s idiosyncrasies. If it is a sin, it should be forgiven, whether or not that person confesses it. This charge is directed to one another. It is a two-way command. The obvious places are between husbands and wives, church members, roommates, and co-workers.

Forgive as the Lord forgave you. This does not mean, “Do not forgive him until he repents or at least says he repents.” Yes, we are to forgive him when he says he repents. "If he sins against you seven times in a day, and seven times comes back to you and says, ‘I repent,’ forgive him" (Luke 17:4). However, his repentance is not a required condition for forgiving him.

Now we put on the outer garments of love. Get dressed properly every morning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ripe for Harvest: Prepared to Give an Answer

As you read through the book of Acts, look at every conversion, and see what happened right before it: what was said, who said it. The situations are the same today.     A long time ago, my duty in the Officer’s Christian Fellowship was the east coast of the United States. I went to an officer’s office at Fort Lee, VA, and stayed overnight, then I went on to Norfolk and Fort Bragg.    Forty years later, I was no longer on the staff of OCF, but I had to go to Denver. While I was in Denver, I checked in at the OCF offices. There was the same Air Force officer I had met in Fort Lee, retired now, a colonel. I had stayed in his house when he was a first lieutenant. He asked me, “Do you know what happened when you stayed overnight?” I said, “No, I just remember staying in your home.” He said, “You led the next-door neighbor to Christ.” I had no memory of it.    Ten years after that, I was speaking at a banquet at the Hotel Salisbury, and who was th...

Why Is Obedience So Hard?

There are several reasons why obedience seems hard. I will comment on some of them and then speak positively on how obedience is easy. We think: 1) Obedience is an infringement on freedom. Since we are free in Christ, and obedience is somehow contrary to that freedom, we conclude that obedience is not good. Yet we know it is good. Thus, we become confused about obedience and are not single-minded. 2) Obedience is works. We who have been justified by grace through faith are opposed to works; therefore, we are opposed to obedience. 3) We have tried to obey and have failed—frequently. Therefore, the only solution is to disobey and later confess to receive forgiveness. It is easier to be forgiven by grace than to obey by effort. 4) We confuse obedience to men with obedience to God. Although these are sometimes one and the same (see Romans 13, 1 Peter 2-3, Ephesians 5-6, Colossians 3, and Titus 2), sometimes they are not the same (see Colossians 2:20-23, Mark 7, 1 Timothy 4:1-5, a...

Biblical Love (Part 1)

God tells husbands to love their wives. How are we to do that, and what does that love look like? Love Her as Your Neighbor “Jesus replied: ‘“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.” This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: “Love your neighbor as yourself”’” (Matt. 22:37-39). “Yourself” is someone you already greatly love, and therefore is a good standard for how to love someone else. For a start, calculate how much time you spend thinking about yourself on an average day. Second, list all the things you do for yourself, including bathing, eating, sleeping, and studying. Third, admit that these things are expressions of love for yourself. Fourth, admit that you do not love your neighbor (even your best friend) this much. Fifth, admit that that is a violation of God’s command and needs His forgiveness. Turn to Him for forgiveness. This will not make you loving, but it will make you clean . From that posi...