Skip to main content

On Warts

Concerning warts, love, and prayer: In the early 1950s, I had a large wart on the first finger of my left hand. It was right on the main knuckle and was very annoying. In Sasebo, Japan, I went to the Navy sickbay and had it burnt off. I can still see the scar.

I had two other warts on my fingers. They were not big enough to be visible. In the past when I was stressed or anxious, they would grow and hurt. They have not hurt for at least thirty years, and they have been gone for some time now.

When our family lived in Annapolis, my sons Douglas and Evan were in elementary school. They both had warts on their hands. Bessie asked Douglas if he wanted her to pray that the warts would be taken away. He said, ‘Yes.” Bessie prayed, and his warts were gone.

We asked Evan if he wanted us to pray for his warts to be taken away. He said no, they were his friends. He played with them.

I knew that my warts were the result of anxiety and stress. I figured that Evan’s were the result of insecurity. If that was true, then it was my fault that he was insecure. I decided to pour the love on him. I did, and the warts disappeared.

Years later, when we lived in Ann Arbor, Michigan, my two youngest children each had planter’s warts on the bottoms of one of their feet. They had been there for a long time. One night when putting Gordon to bed, I told him I was going to pray for his warts, and I did.

A few days later when putting him to bed, I asked to see his foot. He showed me. It was smooth as a baby’s foot. He looked at it and said, “I must have shown you the wrong foot,” and showed me the other foot. It was the same; the warts were gone.

I said, “Let’s go show Heather.” We went to Heather’s room to show her the evidence of answered prayer. Then I prayed for Heather. I did not wait for a few days. The very next night, I went into her bedroom to see her feet. The warts were still there. I will let Heather tell you about it. Here are her words: “I remember quite clearly looking at the bottom of my foot with my dad next to me and Gordon looking on and still seeing the warts. I was disappointed. I think we all were. Dad suggested we look a little closer. Then I touched one, and it fell off. So did the others. There was great rejoicing in that room that night.”

Several years later when returning from Logan, Utah, where we had had several days of evangelism, I noticed that the staff member who was driving had a large wart on his thumb. I commented on it. He said that it had been there for years, and he paid no attention to it. I told him I would pray that it be taken away. I prayed. A few days later, he called to tell me that his wife had asked him, “Where is your wart?” It was gone.

I could tell more stories, but I will let it go. I believe that warts are the result of anxiety, stress, and insecurity. Getting rid of the anxiety and stress and providing the security gets rid of the warts. Praying also gets rid of them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Is Obedience So Hard?

There are several reasons why obedience seems hard. I will comment on some of them and then speak positively on how obedience is easy. We think: 1) Obedience is an infringement on freedom. Since we are free in Christ, and obedience is somehow contrary to that freedom, we conclude that obedience is not good. Yet we know it is good. Thus, we become confused about obedience and are not single-minded. 2) Obedience is works. We who have been justified by grace through faith are opposed to works; therefore, we are opposed to obedience. 3) We have tried to obey and have failed—frequently. Therefore, the only solution is to disobey and later confess to receive forgiveness. It is easier to be forgiven by grace than to obey by effort. 4) We confuse obedience to men with obedience to God. Although these are sometimes one and the same (see Romans 13, 1 Peter 2-3, Ephesians 5-6, Colossians 3, and Titus 2), sometimes they are not the same (see Colossians 2:20-23, Mark 7, 1 Timothy 4:1-5, a

Getting Old

This is a post for those who are getting old or considering themselves old, from 65-100. Right now, I am 91.* I will be 92 in October. I have my own house, but I cannot live in it alone because of my physical inability to move around. One of my sons lives with me. All of us will have to make some adjustments. That includes money, relatives, your own ability and willpower to stay independent, etc. My advice is if physically and financially you can live independently, you should certainly do that. If you do, you will still need to have visits from your family frequently. You need your family. Even if you don’t need them to take care of you, you need them for the fellowship. The more fellowship you have, the longer you’ll live. If you can stay independent do it, but only if friends and relatives can see you often. In my case, I can’t walk, and I can’t do much physically. So, whether I like it or not, someone else has to get me up, get me showered, and get me dressed. I am blessed to have

Three Types of People Christians Aren't Loving

There are three types of people in the world that Christians do not love with the Gospel . The first type are the people we witness to but do not love. The second type are the unbelievers that we do not witness to. The third are people we love but do not witness to. That sounds like doubletalk. Let’s change it. 1) We witness to people we love. 2) We love everybody and witness to them with love. As Christians, we have the fruit of the Spirit—love. We are commanded to love our neighbors and our enemies. The first thing is to have the love. The second is to choose to love our neighbors and enemies. Sometimes we can’t make the choice because we have lost the fruit of the Spirit, love. We lack the fruit of the Spirit of love because we are under the chastening of the Lord because of unconfessed sin. In order to get the love back, we must confess sin. Once we get the love back, we can choose to love our neighbors and enemies and preach the gospel to them.   Written December 22,