Skip to main content

Bad Theology Corrupts Good Character

You have probably heard this saying: "Do not be misled: 'Bad company corrupts good character'" (1 Corinthians 15:33).

Perhaps you also know the truth taught in Romans 1:18-32, which is basically, “Bad theology corrupts good character.” Even though we know both of these truths, we can still wonder when some Christians end up in immoral situations. The wonder is increased when the Christian involved has emphasized “good company” (nearly to the point of legalism) and “sound doctrine” (to the point of arguing with all who differ).

I spend a good portion of my time with Christians who have fallen into major sin. Some of them turned out not to be Christians; that is a topic for another time. However, some of them were Christians. I have spent many hours listening to them. As they recounted the details of the sins they fell into, I could see that they had not kept bad company and that their theology appeared to be sound. Yet how could I account for their sin? After more questioning, I saw that the basic cause really was bad theology, although not in any area that they might have suspected. What was the explanation?

Most bad theology is the result of false teaching—that is, untrue teaching about God, His being, His character, or His work. We see it in cults, heresies, other world religions, and liberalism. If we know our Bibles, such false teaching is easy to recognize.

But there is another kind of bad theology that is taught by Christians who offer incomplete teaching or overemphasize a particular aspect of theology. Important truth is left out, not because it is not believed, but because it is not part of the current Christian cultural pattern.

Here are a few expressions I hear (and say myself) regularly:

• “Do you know the Savior?”
• “Jesus loves you.”
• “Would you like to come to Jesus?”
• “Would you like to come to Christ?”

These can easily fit into good theology. Here are a few expressions I do not hear:

• “Do you know the Father?”
• “The Father loves you.” “I am not saying I will ask the Father on your behalf. No, the Father himself loves you…” (John 16:26b-27a).
• “Would you like to come to the Father?” “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6).

These expressions do not fit with the current Christian culture, so they are not used. Then in the vacuum of teaching about the Father, Christians make up their own theology that often comes straight from the enemy of our souls. It is a caricature of the Father. Thus, bad theology is the first result of failing to teach basic truths about God; bad morality is the second.

Since we do not teach that the Father loves us, the resulting bad theology is that the Father does not love us. This is not a conclusion I reached only from logical deduction. It is borne out by many Christians’ answers to the question, “Would you describe God the Father to me?” In almost every answer, they describe Him as not loving. Those who include love in the answer do so in a way that shows that they do not believe it, e.g. “He is supposed to be loving.” As I listen to this bad theology, I see why the person in front of me also has bad morality.

People generally give two types of answers to this question: 1) confirmation class answers (correct answers), and 2) the answers they really believe. By asking similar questions about Jesus and the Holy Spirit, I find that Jesus invariably has a “better” character than the Father. Although I ask these questions of Christians who believe in the Trinity, it is impossible to make their descriptions fit into one Deity. Their answers are polytheistic.

Here are three assignments to help you with your theology of the Father:

1. Read the Gospel of John with a marker in your hand. Highlight every mention of the Father and notice His characteristics and difference from or likeness to Jesus.
2. Go through the New Testament looking for prayers and teaching on prayer. To whom are the prayers addressed?
3. Read the salutations of the letters in the New Testament. What do they say about the Father?

When your theology about the Father becomes truly biblical, it always affects the way you live.

"If God has revealed anything to me that I have not obeyed, I will go down when the crisis comes no matter how I may cry to Him." — Oswald Chambers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Is Obedience So Hard?

There are several reasons why obedience seems hard. I will comment on some of them and then speak positively on how obedience is easy. We think: 1) Obedience is an infringement on freedom. Since we are free in Christ, and obedience is somehow contrary to that freedom, we conclude that obedience is not good. Yet we know it is good. Thus, we become confused about obedience and are not single-minded. 2) Obedience is works. We who have been justified by grace through faith are opposed to works; therefore, we are opposed to obedience. 3) We have tried to obey and have failed—frequently. Therefore, the only solution is to disobey and later confess to receive forgiveness. It is easier to be forgiven by grace than to obey by effort. 4) We confuse obedience to men with obedience to God. Although these are sometimes one and the same (see Romans 13, 1 Peter 2-3, Ephesians 5-6, Colossians 3, and Titus 2), sometimes they are not the same (see Colossians 2:20-23, Mark 7, 1 Timothy 4:1-5, a

Getting Old

This is a post for those who are getting old or considering themselves old, from 65-100. Right now, I am 91.* I will be 92 in October. I have my own house, but I cannot live in it alone because of my physical inability to move around. One of my sons lives with me. All of us will have to make some adjustments. That includes money, relatives, your own ability and willpower to stay independent, etc. My advice is if physically and financially you can live independently, you should certainly do that. If you do, you will still need to have visits from your family frequently. You need your family. Even if you don’t need them to take care of you, you need them for the fellowship. The more fellowship you have, the longer you’ll live. If you can stay independent do it, but only if friends and relatives can see you often. In my case, I can’t walk, and I can’t do much physically. So, whether I like it or not, someone else has to get me up, get me showered, and get me dressed. I am blessed to have

Three Types of People Christians Aren't Loving

There are three types of people in the world that Christians do not love with the Gospel . The first type are the people we witness to but do not love. The second type are the unbelievers that we do not witness to. The third are people we love but do not witness to. That sounds like doubletalk. Let’s change it. 1) We witness to people we love. 2) We love everybody and witness to them with love. As Christians, we have the fruit of the Spirit—love. We are commanded to love our neighbors and our enemies. The first thing is to have the love. The second is to choose to love our neighbors and enemies. Sometimes we can’t make the choice because we have lost the fruit of the Spirit, love. We lack the fruit of the Spirit of love because we are under the chastening of the Lord because of unconfessed sin. In order to get the love back, we must confess sin. Once we get the love back, we can choose to love our neighbors and enemies and preach the gospel to them.   Written December 22,