Skip to main content

Glory in Nothing but the Cross

Paul gave this warning, and we would like to repeat it.

“But I am afraid that as the serpent deceived Eve by his cunning, your thoughts will be led astray from a sincere and pure devotion to Christ” (II Corinthians 11:3).

In the Lord’s message to the church at Ephesus (Revelation 2:4), He says, “But I have this against you that you have abandoned the love you had at first.”

Both of these statements say that there is a “first love”—“a sincere and pure devotion to Christ” that must not be abandoned or left behind.

This first love was a responsive love.

“We love, because He first loved us” (I John 4:19).

His love for us meant His death upon the Cross for our sins. His resurrection meant our justification in the sight of God, God’s seal of approval on the death of His Son as providing salvation from sin and eternal life to all who will believe. We must never cease loving Him for His mercy and love toward us. Therefore, we must never cease to dwell on His love shown at the Cross, for it is this that keeps our love for Him warm and alive.

There are many ways to be led astray, and we all know the immoral ways. There are a few ways that are cunning and deceitful and do not seem immoral. They may seem legitimate because they are taught in Scripture: promises of a deeper spiritual life centering on the gifts of the Spirit, the need of separation from the world, a special doctrine. These legitimate teachings must always be tested by the gospel, never divorced from the gospel.

Many false cults are based on Scriptural tangents, overemphasis of one truth to the exclusion of others. Much of the New Testament is written to counteract false emphases, e.g. the Thessalonian letters were written in part to keep the believers from letting the belief in the return of Christ keep them from daily work. The Colossian letter was written to combat Gnosticism: people claiming “deeper knowledge” but, as Paul wrote in Colossians 2:19, “not holding fast to the Head.” It was to the very gifted church at Corinth that Paul had to write his most devastating comment, “For you are still of the flesh” (I Corinthians 2:3).

Christians do not like to believe they can be led astray. It is a sobering fact that Satan opposes the believer not only as a “roaring lion” (I Peter 5:8) but also as an “angel of light” (II Corinthians 11:14). In this same chapter, Paul warns:

“For if someone comes and preaches another Jesus than the one we preached, or if you receive a different spirit from the one you received, or if you accept a different gospel from the one you accepted, you submit to it readily enough” (II Corinthians 11:4).

And even more strongly in Galatians 1:6-9:

“I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and turning to a different gospel—not that there is another gospel, but there are some who trouble you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ. But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to that which we preached to you, let him be accursed. As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to that which you received, let him be accursed.”

Let’s join Paul in saying, “God forbid that I should glory save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ” (Galatians 6:14).


(Taken from Day & Night, 2005)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Old

This is a post for those who are getting old or considering themselves old, from 65-100. Right now, I am 91.* I will be 92 in October. I have my own house, but I cannot live in it alone because of my physical inability to move around. One of my sons lives with me. All of us will have to make some adjustments. That includes money, relatives, your own ability and willpower to stay independent, etc. My advice is if physically and financially you can live independently, you should certainly do that. If you do, you will still need to have visits from your family frequently. You need your family. Even if you don’t need them to take care of you, you need them for the fellowship. The more fellowship you have, the longer you’ll live. If you can stay independent do it, but only if friends and relatives can see you often. In my case, I can’t walk, and I can’t do much physically. So, whether I like it or not, someone else has to get me up, get me showered, and get me dressed. I am blessed to have

Why Is Obedience So Hard?

There are several reasons why obedience seems hard. I will comment on some of them and then speak positively on how obedience is easy. We think: 1) Obedience is an infringement on freedom. Since we are free in Christ, and obedience is somehow contrary to that freedom, we conclude that obedience is not good. Yet we know it is good. Thus, we become confused about obedience and are not single-minded. 2) Obedience is works. We who have been justified by grace through faith are opposed to works; therefore, we are opposed to obedience. 3) We have tried to obey and have failed—frequently. Therefore, the only solution is to disobey and later confess to receive forgiveness. It is easier to be forgiven by grace than to obey by effort. 4) We confuse obedience to men with obedience to God. Although these are sometimes one and the same (see Romans 13, 1 Peter 2-3, Ephesians 5-6, Colossians 3, and Titus 2), sometimes they are not the same (see Colossians 2:20-23, Mark 7, 1 Timothy 4:1-5, a

Constant Victory

I came across the following poem (prayer) and devotional in Amy Carmichael's book Edges of His Ways :   Before the winds that blow do cease, Teach me to dwell within thy calm; Before the pain has passed in peace, Give me, my God, to sing a psalm. Let me not lose the chance to prove The fulness of enabling love. O Love of God, do this for me; Maintain a constant victory.   Before I leave the desert land For meadows of immortal flowers, Lead me where streams at thy command Flow by the borders of the hours, That when the thirsty come I may Show them the fountains in the way. O love of God, do this for me; Maintain a constant victory.   "This prayer was written for the ill, and for the tired. It is so easy to fail when not feeling fit. As I thought of them, I also remembered those who, thank God, are not ill and yet can be hard-pressed. Sometimes in the midst of the rush of things, it seems impossible to be victorious, always to be peaceful,