Skip to main content

Confession of Sin Leads to Unity

In reading different histories of World War II, we can read how the British won the war, the Americans won the war, then on to tanks, submarines, destroyers, airborne, bombers etc., how each won the war. We were all on the same team. However, it was not always evident.

Unity is comprised of two components:

1. The greatest loyalty is to the supreme commander of all units; and
2. Great love for all those who are under the supreme commander.

Let me illustrate with an isosceles triangle. The two points at the ends of the base of the triangle represent two units, tanks and infantry. The apex represents the supreme commander. If these two units get farther removed from the supreme commander, the distance between the units gets greater. The closer they are to the supreme commander, the closer they are to each other.

Jesus’ prayer for His army in John 17:20, 21:

My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. (NIV)

Do you see it? He was praying for US who are Christians today. He was praying we would be one with each other in the same way as the Father and the Son are one.

How are they one? “Just as you are IN me and I am IN you.” That is not competition, nor is it cooperation. It is much greater; it is interactive unity.

Why does He pray this? So “that the world may believe that you have sent me.” The greatest truth in the gospel is the deity of Jesus Christ. The world is the enemy army. Our oneness is the way we communicate the deity of Jesus Christ to the world.

This unity has another component. It is love for each other.

A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another. John 13:34, 35 (NIV)

Jesus tells us to love other members of the body in the same way He loved each member of that same body. The result will be that ALL MEN will KNOW we are followers of Jesus Christ.

We are not to be at war with other members of the body of Christ. We are not to be satisfied with co-belligerence, competition, tolerance, cordiality, friendliness, or cooperation. All of these are less than the command to be one and to love one another.

Do not jump to the question, “How do we do it?” That is not a valid question until we know we WANT to obey; we WANT to love; we WANT to be one.

Sin will have to be confessed before we can begin to want this oneness.


(Taken from Weapons & Tactics in Evangelism, part 9)

Comments

Unknown said…
Yes, Unity a blessing and if it exists in us with those who our brethern, how much greater effect it will be and have on the world.

Recently at work I received a phone call that contained much anger and many choice words. I am greatful that I was able to respond appropriately. A couple days later in my quiet time I was shown the benefit of saying the right thing. The following scriptures are most fitting.

Proverbs 26:2 Like a fluttering sparrow or a darting swallow, an undeserved curse does not come to rest.

Proverbs 25:11 A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Old

This is a post for those who are getting old or considering themselves old, from 65-100. Right now, I am 91.* I will be 92 in October. I have my own house, but I cannot live in it alone because of my physical inability to move around. One of my sons lives with me. All of us will have to make some adjustments. That includes money, relatives, your own ability and willpower to stay independent, etc. My advice is if physically and financially you can live independently, you should certainly do that. If you do, you will still need to have visits from your family frequently. You need your family. Even if you don’t need them to take care of you, you need them for the fellowship. The more fellowship you have, the longer you’ll live. If you can stay independent do it, but only if friends and relatives can see you often. In my case, I can’t walk, and I can’t do much physically. So, whether I like it or not, someone else has to get me up, get me showered, and get me dressed. I am blessed to have

Why Is Obedience So Hard?

There are several reasons why obedience seems hard. I will comment on some of them and then speak positively on how obedience is easy. We think: 1) Obedience is an infringement on freedom. Since we are free in Christ, and obedience is somehow contrary to that freedom, we conclude that obedience is not good. Yet we know it is good. Thus, we become confused about obedience and are not single-minded. 2) Obedience is works. We who have been justified by grace through faith are opposed to works; therefore, we are opposed to obedience. 3) We have tried to obey and have failed—frequently. Therefore, the only solution is to disobey and later confess to receive forgiveness. It is easier to be forgiven by grace than to obey by effort. 4) We confuse obedience to men with obedience to God. Although these are sometimes one and the same (see Romans 13, 1 Peter 2-3, Ephesians 5-6, Colossians 3, and Titus 2), sometimes they are not the same (see Colossians 2:20-23, Mark 7, 1 Timothy 4:1-5, a

Three Types of People Christians Aren't Loving

There are three types of people in the world that Christians do not love with the Gospel . The first type are the people we witness to but do not love. The second type are the unbelievers that we do not witness to. The third are people we love but do not witness to. That sounds like doubletalk. Let’s change it. 1) We witness to people we love. 2) We love everybody and witness to them with love. As Christians, we have the fruit of the Spirit—love. We are commanded to love our neighbors and our enemies. The first thing is to have the love. The second is to choose to love our neighbors and enemies. Sometimes we can’t make the choice because we have lost the fruit of the Spirit, love. We lack the fruit of the Spirit of love because we are under the chastening of the Lord because of unconfessed sin. In order to get the love back, we must confess sin. Once we get the love back, we can choose to love our neighbors and enemies and preach the gospel to them.   Written December 22,