Jim Wilson is the retired director of Community Christian Ministries in Moscow, Idaho. He will be posting regularly, so check back in soon!

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Books

You may know that I have been giving, selling and loaning books for 65 years. You may also know that I read books. You may not know that I very seldom read books in the daytime. Since reading was a pleasure, I did not think that working time should be used for pleasure. So I read in bed. That shortened my reading time because I would fall asleep while reading. Even with this abbreviated reading time I got through a lot of books. I am 86 years old, that means I had many bed time readings. Today however, I got into my recliner with six books (I read more than one at a time). All of these books are very different from each other and very good. They are

1. The Bible (Acts 7-8)
2. Strunk & White: The Elements of Style (After sixty years of writing I thought I should learn how to write)
3. The Curate's Awakening, a novel by George MacDonald. The story of an Anglican Clergyman who was not a saved man. I had read it 25 years ago.
4. The Death of a Guru, the autobiography of Rabi R. Maharaj. I had read it 20 years ago.
5. Christianity's a Dangerous Idea, a church history from the 16th to the 21st centuries by Alister McGrath. It is very good! I would also recommend another Church history from Apostolic times: The Pilgrim Church by E.H. Broadbent.
6. The Everlasting Man by G.K. Chesterton. It is very good!

Being a book collector I have many books which I have not read and probably will not. I have looked at the covers for so long I think I have read them. The Everlasting Man is one of those books. It was a profitable two hours in the recliner.

No comments: