Skip to main content

Strength & Continuance


This post is an excerpt from
Living at the Mercy Seat by R.C. Chapman.

It is Christ’s hold upon us that enables us, by faith, to lay hold on and to keep hold of Him. “Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus” (Phil. 3:12).

They who seem the most tried are not always those that have the sharpest warfare.

Sometimes things appear to us so difficult that we are daunted; at other times so easy that we think we are equal to them; and thus in either case we fail.

He that is running a race looks not at witnesses admiring, but only at the mark.

We need to “discern the Lord’s body,” i.e., Christ having been crucified (1 Cor. 11:29) for steadfastness of communion with God, no less than to trust in His blood to obtain salvation from wrath to come (John 6:54, 56).

The fulfilling of God’s promises depends not upon the creature’s strength, and cannot be prevented by the creature’s weakness.

We need a close walk with God, a having respect to all His commandments, if we would obtain of Him whatsoever we ask.

True persevering diligence in spiritual things always begins in self-abasement.

It is one mark of growth in spirituality to be more afflicted by the pleasing—than by the distressing—temptations of Satan.

We should always take great trials and great temptations as the forerunners of great blessings and growth of fellowship with God.

The obedience of grace obtains for us the profitable knowl­edge of truth, and teaches us to prize it more than much fine gold. Mere knowledge puffeth up, and the talk of the lips tendeth only to penury (Prov. 14:23).

Deep spirituality of mind is only obtained by a thorough crucifixion of self: self-denial is discipline for life—the work of every hour.

To make a good soldier, put him in front of the battle; a good seaman, let him brave the storm: so with the Christian.

True readiness to confess sin, and joy in self-abasement, mark a growth in grace and knowledge of the character of God.

I know of no one who, with so little promise in his beginnings of faith, had a sunset so glorious as had Jacob (Gen. 48, 49).

It is the constant crucifying the flesh in little things that makes a giant in the Christian warfare. But true self-crucifix­ion is a thing impossible, save by grace; and to have the needful supplies of that grace we must be in perpetual communion with God: it is only thus we shall overcome in little things.

It is a great salvation wrought for us, if the soul be resolved to suffer the will of God, cost what it may.

Do you desire a humble mind, a soft heart, an obedient spirit? Ask and receive, that your joy may be full. But remember, “The soul of the sluggard desireth, and hath nothing” (Prov. 13:4). Be the clean vessel that God delights to fill and use.

Not God’s answering prayer in respect of earthly things and earthly gifts, but growth of the new man, is the true proof that we please God.

We are commanded to lay aside every weight, and the sin that does so easily beset us: if we contend not against the latter—that is unbelief—how shall we rightly deal with the former? We have every one in himself his own peculiar hindrances—weights which, if not laid aside, will clog the soul in her race. 

How shall I run my race and not stumble? How shall I have Christ’s approval in the day of His appearing? are questions to be daily put by every child of God to his own soul.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ripe for Harvest: Prepared to Give an Answer

As you read through the book of Acts, look at every conversion, and see what happened right before it: what was said, who said it. The situations are the same today.     A long time ago, my duty in the Officer’s Christian Fellowship was the east coast of the United States. I went to an officer’s office at Fort Lee, VA, and stayed overnight, then I went on to Norfolk and Fort Bragg.    Forty years later, I was no longer on the staff of OCF, but I had to go to Denver. While I was in Denver, I checked in at the OCF offices. There was the same Air Force officer I had met in Fort Lee, retired now, a colonel. I had stayed in his house when he was a first lieutenant. He asked me, “Do you know what happened when you stayed overnight?” I said, “No, I just remember staying in your home.” He said, “You led the next-door neighbor to Christ.” I had no memory of it.    Ten years after that, I was speaking at a banquet at the Hotel Salisbury, and who was th...

Why Is Obedience So Hard?

There are several reasons why obedience seems hard. I will comment on some of them and then speak positively on how obedience is easy. We think: 1) Obedience is an infringement on freedom. Since we are free in Christ, and obedience is somehow contrary to that freedom, we conclude that obedience is not good. Yet we know it is good. Thus, we become confused about obedience and are not single-minded. 2) Obedience is works. We who have been justified by grace through faith are opposed to works; therefore, we are opposed to obedience. 3) We have tried to obey and have failed—frequently. Therefore, the only solution is to disobey and later confess to receive forgiveness. It is easier to be forgiven by grace than to obey by effort. 4) We confuse obedience to men with obedience to God. Although these are sometimes one and the same (see Romans 13, 1 Peter 2-3, Ephesians 5-6, Colossians 3, and Titus 2), sometimes they are not the same (see Colossians 2:20-23, Mark 7, 1 Timothy 4:1-5, a...

Biblical Love (Part 1)

God tells husbands to love their wives. How are we to do that, and what does that love look like? Love Her as Your Neighbor “Jesus replied: ‘“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.” This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: “Love your neighbor as yourself”’” (Matt. 22:37-39). “Yourself” is someone you already greatly love, and therefore is a good standard for how to love someone else. For a start, calculate how much time you spend thinking about yourself on an average day. Second, list all the things you do for yourself, including bathing, eating, sleeping, and studying. Third, admit that these things are expressions of love for yourself. Fourth, admit that you do not love your neighbor (even your best friend) this much. Fifth, admit that that is a violation of God’s command and needs His forgiveness. Turn to Him for forgiveness. This will not make you loving, but it will make you clean . From that posi...