Skip to main content

Showing Hospitality


“Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares” (Heb. 13:2).

What I have to say about this is primarily an observation. That is that Christian people do not give much hospitality. When they do, it is to friends who then return the hospitality. But this text says to give hospitality to strangers. That is not entertaining your friends or giving dinners back and forth.

The text gives us a motivation: some have entertained angels unawares. I remember talking to people about this, not recently, but when we lived on the East Coast. They were not about to invite strangers to their homes! They were not concerned that they might be missing angels. They were concerned that the people they entertained might be crooks or thieves who would take advantage of them. They do not expect to entertain angels; they only expect to be taken advantage of. As a result, hospitality goes by the board.

“Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers.” This is not good advice; it is a command. When we neglect it, we are disobeying God.

Even if we do not get an angel, entertaining strangers is a great witness to those strangers. This is not the kind of hospitality that says they owe us a dinner now; it is one-way giving. Because of this, the people we show hospitality to are profiting, not just from the dinner, but from the love of the host and hostess. This love that you have when you open your house to a stranger is the kind that the Lord Jesus speaks of; it is the kind of love we are to have as Christians. It is selfless. It is not watching out for yourself; it is watching out for the good of the other person. “Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others” (Phil. 2:3-4).

This sort of hospitality seems to be happening less and less in the Christian world. This is an encouragement to reverse the neglect. There are certainly people who need the food, but there are also people who need the love that you can give to them.

If you are not prepared for this, use your spare time to get prepared. Spend time in the Word seeing what the Scripture says about it. Get trained to give hospitality to friends and strangers alike. That is the nature of the Christian home—characterized by hospitality.

How do you train yourself? Start by inviting a bachelor or two—someone who is easy to entertain. That will get you more prepared to invite others. When Bessie and I were a young married couple, Bessie told me that if I wanted to invite a bachelor home for dinner, I should go ahead and do it anytime I wanted. She didn’t have to have any advance notice. But if I was going to invite a couple or a woman, she wanted a week’s notice, because she was concerned about her housekeeping. She knew that bachelors wouldn’t pay any attention to it.

You need to either keep your house spic and span all the time, or be willing to invite people over when it’s not spic and span. Don’t be concerned about it. Our foolish pride gets in the way of hospitality. We are afraid of criticism of our house, our home, instead of loving people. If you want to practice, practice by inviting bachelors, or tramps, or people who are homeless. They will be very grateful and not critical. Don’t do nothing. Work yourself into giving hospitality to people who need it.


This post coordinates with today's reading in the Same Page Summer Bible Reading Challenge. If you are not in a daily reading plan, please join us at TotheWord.com. We would love to have you reading with us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ripe for Harvest: Prepared to Give an Answer

As you read through the book of Acts, look at every conversion, and see what happened right before it: what was said, who said it. The situations are the same today.     A long time ago, my duty in the Officer’s Christian Fellowship was the east coast of the United States. I went to an officer’s office at Fort Lee, VA, and stayed overnight, then I went on to Norfolk and Fort Bragg.    Forty years later, I was no longer on the staff of OCF, but I had to go to Denver. While I was in Denver, I checked in at the OCF offices. There was the same Air Force officer I had met in Fort Lee, retired now, a colonel. I had stayed in his house when he was a first lieutenant. He asked me, “Do you know what happened when you stayed overnight?” I said, “No, I just remember staying in your home.” He said, “You led the next-door neighbor to Christ.” I had no memory of it.    Ten years after that, I was speaking at a banquet at the Hotel Salisbury, and who was th...

Why Is Obedience So Hard?

There are several reasons why obedience seems hard. I will comment on some of them and then speak positively on how obedience is easy. We think: 1) Obedience is an infringement on freedom. Since we are free in Christ, and obedience is somehow contrary to that freedom, we conclude that obedience is not good. Yet we know it is good. Thus, we become confused about obedience and are not single-minded. 2) Obedience is works. We who have been justified by grace through faith are opposed to works; therefore, we are opposed to obedience. 3) We have tried to obey and have failed—frequently. Therefore, the only solution is to disobey and later confess to receive forgiveness. It is easier to be forgiven by grace than to obey by effort. 4) We confuse obedience to men with obedience to God. Although these are sometimes one and the same (see Romans 13, 1 Peter 2-3, Ephesians 5-6, Colossians 3, and Titus 2), sometimes they are not the same (see Colossians 2:20-23, Mark 7, 1 Timothy 4:1-5, a...

Biblical Love (Part 1)

God tells husbands to love their wives. How are we to do that, and what does that love look like? Love Her as Your Neighbor “Jesus replied: ‘“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.” This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: “Love your neighbor as yourself”’” (Matt. 22:37-39). “Yourself” is someone you already greatly love, and therefore is a good standard for how to love someone else. For a start, calculate how much time you spend thinking about yourself on an average day. Second, list all the things you do for yourself, including bathing, eating, sleeping, and studying. Third, admit that these things are expressions of love for yourself. Fourth, admit that you do not love your neighbor (even your best friend) this much. Fifth, admit that that is a violation of God’s command and needs His forgiveness. Turn to Him for forgiveness. This will not make you loving, but it will make you clean . From that posi...