There is one major solution to our country's problems. That is Jesus Christ. If you are not doing so already, begin praying that we would turn to Him as a nation.
How should we pray for revival?
• With confession. Since the last revival, the world has acted according to its nature. The church has not acted according to its nature and needs to take responsibility for the results this has had in the world.
• In submission. The Holy Spirit is sovereign in revival and cannot be manipulated by prayer meetings, fasting, etc. We cannot produce revival - it must be given.
• With optimism. If we want to ask for revival in a godly way, we should plead the promises of God in Scripture. In order to do this, we must have an optimistic eschatology.
• Knowledgably. In order to pray for revival intelligently, we need to know what we are asking for. Read histories of previous revivals. The last revival in America was in the mid-nineteenth century.
• With focus. We should pray for the church, not the world. Pray for the preachers and teachers in the Church. If the Church is revived, the world will be affected. As Charles Spurgeon once said, “If the church catches fire, the world will show up to watch it burn.”
• With sound doctrine. Pray biblically. Our prayers need to be based on a good grasp of biblical conceptssin, salvation, the cross and resurrection, etc.
• In self-control. Because of our great revival drought, there will be a strong temptation to emotionalism and sensationalism if revival comes. Pray for self-control with self-control.