Skip to main content

Two Words to Remember in 2020


But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace… (Galatians 5:22a)

Love and peace are words which indicate things of indescribable value and quality. Today these words are used as synonyms for temporal, physical events such as sexual relationships and the absence of war.

I can think of two other words which are not as unlimited in meaning but where there has been no attempt to change the meaning. In fact, they are largely ignored. This is a time of violent expression and polarization of peoples, nations, and opinions. Even Christians find themselves choosing up sides and thereby refusing to use these words and to practice what they stand for.

The words are gentle and kind. Ephesians 4:31-32 says, "Let all bitterness and wrath and anger, and clamor and evil speaking be put away from you with all malice: And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you."

Wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking are motivated by malice and bitterness. This is a perfect description of a great part of the world today. The forgiveness in verse 32 is motivated by and expressed with kindness and tenderheartedness. This is the kind of forgiveness we have received in Christ. Much of what people call “forgiveness” today is shallow and unreal.

As the opposition to the gospel becomes more violent, the temptation is to “fight fire with fire.” In our desire to witness for Jesus Christ we may sound harsh and we may argue with heat. Such behavior contradicts 2 Timothy 2:23: "But stay away from foolish and ignorant arguments; you know that they end up in quarrels. The Lord’s servant must not quarrel. He must be kind toward all, a good and patient teacher, who is gentle as he corrects his opponents."

In times like this, recognize the temptation for what it is—a temptation. Do not quarrel. Be kind and gentle. When the disciples were not received by a village in Samaria and James and John wanted to call down fire from heaven to consume them, Jesus rebuked them with these words: “Ye know not what manner of Spirit ye are of” (Luke 9:54). Isn’t this a good reminder to us today? Are we Christians as easily recognized by our manner as by our message? This is a day of confrontation, and we must recognize that violence, evil speaking (which includes sarcasm), and putting down our opponents are not becoming to Christians.

How do we sound at business meetings? The grocery store? Neighborhood discussions? The family dinner table? Do we sound like Christians? James wrote in his letter, "But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not and lie not against the truth. This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish. For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work. But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle and easy to be entreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy" (James 3:14-17 KJV).

Paul made this the basis of his entreaty to the church at Corinth when he wrote, “I, Paul, myself entreat you, by the meekness and gentleness of Christ” (2 Corinthians 10:1). To the believers at Thessalonica he could say that his actions were “gentle among you, like a nurse taking care of her children” (1 Thessalonians 2:7).

May we remind ourselves that this gentleness and kindness comes from one Source alone: "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from Me; for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light" (Matthew 11:28-30).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Old

This is a post for those who are getting old or considering themselves old, from 65-100. Right now, I am 91.* I will be 92 in October. I have my own house, but I cannot live in it alone because of my physical inability to move around. One of my sons lives with me. All of us will have to make some adjustments. That includes money, relatives, your own ability and willpower to stay independent, etc. My advice is if physically and financially you can live independently, you should certainly do that. If you do, you will still need to have visits from your family frequently. You need your family. Even if you don’t need them to take care of you, you need them for the fellowship. The more fellowship you have, the longer you’ll live. If you can stay independent do it, but only if friends and relatives can see you often. In my case, I can’t walk, and I can’t do much physically. So, whether I like it or not, someone else has to get me up, get me showered, and get me dressed. I am blessed to have

Why Is Obedience So Hard?

There are several reasons why obedience seems hard. I will comment on some of them and then speak positively on how obedience is easy. We think: 1) Obedience is an infringement on freedom. Since we are free in Christ, and obedience is somehow contrary to that freedom, we conclude that obedience is not good. Yet we know it is good. Thus, we become confused about obedience and are not single-minded. 2) Obedience is works. We who have been justified by grace through faith are opposed to works; therefore, we are opposed to obedience. 3) We have tried to obey and have failed—frequently. Therefore, the only solution is to disobey and later confess to receive forgiveness. It is easier to be forgiven by grace than to obey by effort. 4) We confuse obedience to men with obedience to God. Although these are sometimes one and the same (see Romans 13, 1 Peter 2-3, Ephesians 5-6, Colossians 3, and Titus 2), sometimes they are not the same (see Colossians 2:20-23, Mark 7, 1 Timothy 4:1-5, a

Constant Victory

I came across the following poem (prayer) and devotional in Amy Carmichael's book Edges of His Ways :   Before the winds that blow do cease, Teach me to dwell within thy calm; Before the pain has passed in peace, Give me, my God, to sing a psalm. Let me not lose the chance to prove The fulness of enabling love. O Love of God, do this for me; Maintain a constant victory.   Before I leave the desert land For meadows of immortal flowers, Lead me where streams at thy command Flow by the borders of the hours, That when the thirsty come I may Show them the fountains in the way. O love of God, do this for me; Maintain a constant victory.   "This prayer was written for the ill, and for the tired. It is so easy to fail when not feeling fit. As I thought of them, I also remembered those who, thank God, are not ill and yet can be hard-pressed. Sometimes in the midst of the rush of things, it seems impossible to be victorious, always to be peaceful,